The Texas School for the Deaf (TSD) Governing Board seeks a committed, strong and student-focused educational leader to serve as the Superintendent / Executive Director of a State Agency in the state of Texas. The ideal candidate would possess the following characteristics and qualifications:
• A highly visible leader who values the diverse Deaf community, is invested in bilingual education, is bilingual (fluent in both American Sign Language and English), and is committed to the continued viability of the Texas School for the Deaf
• A leader of integrity who promotes diversity, equity and inclusion among all stakeholders
• An authentic communicator who can listen and understand the expectations and needs expressed by the Governing Board, parents, students from birth to 22, teachers, staff, parents, and the deaf community
• A leader who is adept at advocating for the needs of TSD with local and state-wide elected officials, state agencies, and the legislature
• A strong manager who can work collaboratively with the Governing Board and Executive Leadership Team, to ensure a climate of transparency, mutual trust, accountability and respect
• An experienced professional in a deaf education setting, knowledgeable in state and federal special education laws and practices with a proven track record of improving academic success and opportunities for students as well as meeting any additional special education needs
• A multi-tasker who is committed to supporting TSD’s unique offerings to deaf and hard-of-hearing students and their families across Texas, which includes academics, residential living, state-wide outreach, online family resources, and summer camps and programs
• A visionary who can develop and expand academic, college, career, and life opportunities available to all TSD students
• A passionate, energetic leader who can inspire students, teachers, staff, and the community to support the diversity and potential of all TSD students
• A team-builder with a growth mindset who promotes teacher, staff, parent, and community involvement in activities to support student achievement, mental health, and academic excellence
• An ambassador for TSD who is adept at making external connections and growing strong partnerships in business, academics and community programs throughout the local area and across Texas and the nation to support TSD initiatives
• A leader with experience in budget administration, school finance and construction management
• A leader who engages in school and community activities
• A motivational leader who will hire, develop, and retain a highly effective workforce.
The ideal candidate would have a Master’s degree or higher in Education of the Deaf, Special Education, Educational Administration, Public Administration or a relevant field. The ideal candidate would hold an Administrator Certification issued in Texas or another state. A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in supervision and management of educational programs for students who are deaf and hard of hearing is required. A doctorate-level degree or Superintendent Certification is preferred. Background checks and fingerprinting are required for hire.