The Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing/Governor Baxter School for the Deaf (MECDHH/GBSD), Maine’s leading Deaf education agency, with programs and offices on Mackworth Island (located outside of Portland, ME) and Bangor, Maine is charged with the provision of statewide services to individuals who are Deaf and hard of hearing from birth through age twenty two.
We are seeking an experienced educational leader with a strong commitment to our vision and mission. This leader must have strong communication skills and support a continuum of language and communication approaches for deaf and hard of hearing and bilingual bimodal programming as part of this continuum of services.
● To provide leadership in developing and maintaining statewide early intervention and educational programming and services
● To lead, guide, and direct every member of the administrative, instructional, and support services teams
● To be responsible for a system of supervision and evaluation for all staff
● To oversee and administer the use of all facilities, property, and budget
● In collaboration with the Leadership Team, the Executive Director ensures all programs and services operate in the spirit of the vision and mission statements as well as the MECDHH/GBSD statutes, state and federal regulations
● To establish and maintain relationships with Maine’s Deaf Community and Maine’s chapter of Hands & Voices.
● Experience with grant writing and grant oversight
● Educational Administrator certification from a State Department of Education (Superintendent, Special Ed Director, or Principal/Building Administrator)
● Master’s degree in Deaf Education or a related field
● 10 years of experience in Deaf education (Early Intervention through Grade12) with at least 5 years in educational administration and an excellent documented record of effectiveness in leadership
● Fluency in American Sign Language preferred/willingness to learn required