Under the direct supervision of the TSD Superintendent, the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) is responsible for the supervision and administration of all educational programming and instructional methodologies designed to meet the unique linguistic needs of deaf and hard of hearing children at all three of the TSD campuses (TSD-Knoxville, TSD-Nashville and WTSD-Jackson). The CAO must possess stellar leadership skills and have a plan to develop leadership potential in others. The CAO must also possess in-depth knowledge and implementation of bilingual educational programming. This knowledge and experience must include best pedagogical practices as well as how to implement bilingual and bimodal strategies in classroom instruction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: These are not exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
– Develop long term academic achievement plan for all students at all education levels
– Directly supervise principals and support staff
– Build capacity in individuals under their purview
– Manage Instructional department budget
– Direct all curriculum domains at all three campuses (TSD-Knoxville, TSD-Nashville and WTSD-Jackson).
– Serve as an Administrative Team Member under the TSD Superintendent
– Act as superintendent’s designee when assigned
– Coordinate with state of Tennessee Department of Education to ensure adaptation and rigor of the educational framework for all three campuses (TSD-Knoxville, TSD-Nashville and WTSD-Jackson) satisfies state regulations.
– Develop and maintain relationships with LEAs across the state
– Establish and monitor the implementation of professional development sessions for teachers and staff
– Assist in the development of appropriate Emergency Action Procedures
– Effectively communicate with staff, students, parents, and other stakeholders
– Establish training sessions for bilingual instructional implementation for families, teachers, and students
– Ensure appropriate bilingual instructional implementation
– Implement latest educational technology to support student success
– Develop and monitors action plans aligned to the strategic plan
– Monitors leading indicators and makes real-time adjustments, reports data monthly
– Write grants to directly benefit student academic growth and increased educational outcomes.