SCOPE OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Supervisor of ASD Interpreting, the Staff Interpreter will be assigned to a variety of work and interpreting situations. The Interpreter will interpret accurately and completely, conveying the content and spirit of the original message, taking into consideration the cultural context that is responsive to the demands of the situation (in-person and/or virtual).
– Provide communication access for students, staff, administration, and guests of ASD by using formative linguistic, cultural, and life experiences.
– Provide close-vision and/or tactile interpreting services to Deaf Blind staff, students, and community members.
– Adhere to strict guidelines for confidentiality and ethical conduct, including the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Professional Code of Conduct.
– Interpret a wide variety of assignments including PPT meetings, workshops, staff development training, field trips, conferences, and school events both on and off campus.
– Support effective and equitable communication via in-person or virtual platforms.
– Manage set-up and flow of communication to promote communicative autonomy.
– Facilitate communication across cultural differences and alerts all parties to significant cultural or linguistic disparities that may significantly impact outcomes.
– Mentor individuals working toward ASL Interpreter Certification.
– Assist with scheduling and data entry as needed.
– Other related duties as assigned