Contact your member of the U.S. House of Representatives and ask him or her to join the Congressional Deaf Caucus. (As March 20, 2014, there is no similar group in the Senate.) Take the following easy steps:
- Find your member of the House by going to http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/ and typing in your school’s zip code.
- Go to your Representative’s web site, find the “contact” section, and type this message:
Dear Rep. [NAME]:
As the [YOUR TITLE] of the [NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL] I encourage you to join the newly established Congressional Deaf Caucus. Led by Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA, 41st) and Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KS, 3rd), this bipartisan Caucus will:
- educate Members of Congress and staff on issues important to the Deaf community
- help bridge the communication divide between Members of Congress and their Deaf and Hard of Hearing constituents
- empower Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals through promoting equal access for all
- in partnership with Gallaudet University, promote the expansion of a Congressional Deaf Internship program.
Families and students at [NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL] will reap the benefits of your participation in this Caucus through greater Congressional awareness of and involvement in issues affecting Deaf and Hard of Hearing Americans. [ADD MORE HERE IF YOU LIKE.]
Thank you for your consideration.
3. When you have sent the message, please let CEASD Government Relations Liaison Barbara Raimondo know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you have any questions, you can contact her.